Thursday, March 3, 2011

A Few More of Those, Less of These

Beyond the Gate just received another great review, this time from Alise at Read My Mind.  Stop by if you have a chance to her busy blog. Thanks, Alise.

Those good reviews always provide a little push for me and hopefully will motivate some readers to try my series, The Futhark Chronicles. 

I need some motivation at this time of year.  I noticed yesterday while walking( still limping) to the end of the driveway, the spring bulbs are pushing their way through the browned bodies of last year's greenery.  Most of the snow is gone, exposing the multitude of branches the snow and wind have ripped from the trees in my back acre.  The pool fence and deck need some work.  Do you see where I'm going with this?

Spring means lots of outside chores to draw me away from my writing and promotional efforts.  I'm already getting the urge to do some raking.  But I'm a third of the way done with my current WIP and would like to finish it before the release of my next novel in May.  I have two submissions to make of my next fantasy series to two publishers who are only open to new manuscripts during the month of March.  Lots to do and the outside is calling me.  

Does the spring weather distract you? Do reviews motivate you in your writing or your reading selections? 

12 comments:

Cate Masters said...

Congrats on the great review Susan! Looking forward to catching up with Stone in this next adventure. Do you have any local signings coming up?
Yes, Spring definitely pulls me away from writing. Winter's great for hunkering down with a laptop (so long as the power stays on, lol)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations on the review! We need those, don't we? And yes, spring means I need to start mowing the lawn soon. Crap!

Jennifer Shirk said...

I'm okay with spring--it's summer that distracts me. I constantly plant and water flowers, then there's no school, etc... So spirng means I have to "spring" into action and get more writing donw than not. :)

Cheryl Klarich said...

Congratulations on the good review and may you touch many more lives with your unique voice!

Blessings!!

Me, distracted??? By flowers, color, sunny days.... oh yeah, the list goes on!

Golden Eagle said...

Congratulations on the review!

Spring weather distracts me, too. I want to be outside when the sun's shining and the weather's warm! Especially after winter. :)

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

No local signings set up yet, Cate. I'll let you know.
Spring and winter are fighting for possession of mark here. I guess the warm weather is going to take some time from all of us, willing or not.

Helen Ginger said...

Lately, just about anything distracts me. Reviews do tend to motivate me - to read, not to write, unfortunately.

Congrats on the review!

Unknown said...

Spring distracts me because I want to go outside and lie in the sun and get a tan!
Sometimes you really need a break from writing, and your writing will benefit from it... So go do those outside chores if you want!

T. M. Crone said...

I do the least amount of writing during the first few months of spring weather.

The Happy Whisk said...

Woohoo! I can't wait to garden and plant veg. No on the distracting part. Writing is a job like any other. I can't call my boss at the shop and tell her I won't make it in today because the radishes need weeded. Same holds true for the writing.

Hope you find your balance and have a fantastic spring.

Anonymous said...

Only March??? Weird. Anyway, best wishes for you to get everything in order. I grew up in Michigan so I understand that time just after the snow melts revealing the damage winter did to the back yard.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

I love spring, but never feel compelled to go do yardwork. LOL The sun and warmth and renewal all feed my creativity and drive me to the keyboard. I would really love a deck, though, so I could work outside.