Monday, October 24, 2011

Remainders....

A little while ago, I reclaim my rights to my fantasy series from the publisher who had broken my contract. I know I did the right thing by taking them back. I decided to self-publish since the original publisher had already released the first two books and I didn't expect to be able to find a new publisher for a series already started.  By next year at this time, I'll let you know if it's worked out in any financial way.

One of the ways my first publisher broke my contract was when they decided they wouldn't publish my second and third book in The Futhark Chronicles in mass market paperback as well as ebook.  The first book, The Keepers of Sulbreth, received excellent reviews and sold rather well.  After I took my rights back, the publisher offered me an opportunity to buy the 'remainders' of the print run of my first book.  I'd heard or remainders but didnt' realize my book would have any. 

Of course I had to purchase huge quantities to get the massive discount and pay a big shipping bill.  They had over a thousand, but what did I need that many books for? What could I do with them? I purchased a much smaller quantity to use as prizes, send out for reviews and even sell a few at the rare booksignings I have at independent stores.

I've compiled a list of reviewers to send some free books to and today I thought of my blogger friends. I know some of you have already purchased my book(thank you, I love you all) but for my bloggy friends who would consider a review, I'm offering three FREE print copies to the first 3 people(in the USA) who email me at:
sgourleyauthor@gmail.com


No strings or promises required. Hopefully, you'll like The Keepers of Sulbreth enough to say something good and maybe even purchase the second book.  I'm waiting to hear from you.  In the meantime, I'm almost done with the edits on book#2, Beyond the Gate.  Then you all can read about my exploits with Amazon and Smashwords again. LOL

So, have you ever had any of your books go out of print? Have you purchased remainders? How many of your own books to you have sitting in the corners of your house?

9 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I didn't get any of the remainders from my first self-published effort although I had the option. That was so long ago - I bet I'd still have a stack!
I'd like to read your book! Emailing you now.

Anne Gallagher said...

emailing you now.

Bossy Betty said...

Someday I hope to have remainders, but I think I have to write a book first!

Cate Masters said...

I have some leftover print copies from the stories I've since self-pubbed, but not a lot.
What a nice gesture. You know I already read and loved it.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Next to none!
And I already have your book on my iPad.

Jamie Gibbs said...

Good luck with the remainders! Keep us posted on how your self publishing journey goes too :)

Anonymous said...

I have seen my books on eBay. Now that was really weird. Wasn;t expecting that. I looked just out of curiosity. And sure enough, there they were. Weird.

Melissa Sugar said...

That is terrible that they refused to honor the original terms. I wish you the best with the self publishing route. I am interested to find out how well it works out for you having already been published by a major publisher.

Anonymous said...

Manfaatkan waktu anda dengan beribadah, salah satunya dengan melakukanSholat Tahajjud