Monday, February 29, 2016

Leap Day & End the Winter Blues

Christine Rains, Tara Tyler, and C. Lee McKenzie put together a Meme Bloghop to help chase away the winter blues.  Share something humorous or encouraging to smooth the way to spring. If you find writing difficult some days, just remember that only means you're doing it right.

Actually, spring is making an early appearance here. Sixties yesterday and fifty degrees today. Some cold spring-like rain on the way for the next two days. There are some bulb shots poking up through the ground here and there. Huge flocks of snow geese have been flying over by the hundreds. I love watching them.


Work associated with the writing groups I belong to is burying me. I'm definitely convinced to stay for only one term in each office. Paperwork, even when it's digital, is the burden of even nonprofit organizations.

Today is Leap Day, the traditional Lady's Day when the women can do the asking. Of course, in our modern world, there's no reason why the woman can't do the asking any day of the year. Lots of speculation about who started this day and the traditions and exactly when it started but to me, it only means that February and therefore, winter, gets an extra day of our lives.

Some more sad news about the future of small presses as another one closes. It was announced a few days ago that Samhain Publishing will be closing its doors. This is sad for their authors and all the editors and other workers at the publishing house. It's scary for those of us with other small publishers. Samhain has been around for a long time and is one of the larger small presses. They've been around since 2005 publishing romance and horror fiction. They've published over 2000 books from more than 600 authors over the years. Here's the letter they sent to their writers, where they demonstrate their professionalism and also share the things that have brought about their closure. Yes, Amazon is mentioned.

The current struggle of writers and publishers is a depressing thought for writers. I'm so happy with my publisher that I can't imagine going back to the beginning and starting a search for a publisher again.

"I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then." Lewis Carroll

But enough of this downer stuff. I'm determined to get that next book plotted out by the end of the week. Don't forget that Wednesday is the posting day for IWSG.

Do you know anyone who was born on or proposed to on Leap Day? Do you know any of the writers affected by Samhain's closing? Any signs of spring at your house?

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan, I proposed to my husband of 41 years this morning :0)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sounds like it's time to step down from those two positions.
They published a lot of books. Very sad Samhain is closing.

Christine Rains said...

Fantastic memes! Thanks for participating in the blog hop. I was surprised when I heard about Samhain this past weekend. So many presses are having troubles. My publisher had a huge overhaul which caused a lot of waves. Spring is coming here. I have lilies popping up in the backyard and the birds are singing every morning. Have a great week!

Maria Zannini said...

My mother-in-law was born on a leap day. She's the only person I know born on that day.

re: Samhain
It was sad, but they handled it elegantly, not like the cloak and dagger of other publishers.

Pat Hatt said...

I'd run away from those positions haha sad so many are getting screwed over by the likes of Amazon.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Really too bad about Samhain closing. I believe one or two of our blogging buddies were published by them, if I'm not mistaken....

My IWSG post is all ready to go!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Susan - Leap day is always fun ... people create wonderful ideas - then only being 12 today would be a little irritating - with all the knowledge under my belt of the other decades!

Yes helping out is fine .. but one can only do so much ... and so sad to read about Samhain closing ...

Cheers Hilary

Ann Bennett said...

Lots of fascinating territory covered. I do agree with Sanheim about Amazon. All that glitters is not gold. Amazon has been a boon for independent writers. It is inevitable for things to change as Amazon controls a larger portion of the market. I'm not against Amazon, I just know how a monopoly works.
Leap year is a lot of fun. I remember the comic Lil Abner and Sadie Hawkins Day with Daisy Mae chasing Lil Abner.

betty said...

I don't know of anyone born on leap day; would be kind of neat I think to be so though :) I bet you are looking forward to the end of your terms for y our duties in your writing club. Does sound like a bit of a work. Trees are blooming here and spring is definitely in the air with the temperatures; mid 70s this week; going to enjoy it indeed!

betty

Bish Denham said...

Out of the ashes, hopefully, will rise new publishers. Love that quote from Michael Jordan.

Happy Leap Day!

Tamara Narayan said...

That quote from Jordan is fascinating. It puts things into perspective. And I also like the one from Carroll. So true.

Juneta key said...

The one about failure does make you think. I hate hearing about Samhain closing. Great meme's.
Juneta @ Writer's Gambit

Chrys Fey said...

I can't believe Samhain is closing. I sure hope my small press is holding strong.

cleemckenzie said...

Wow. Loved the Thomas Mann quote because I truly get it. Jordan's is so affirming. Thanks for posting these and joining the hop. Sorry about the press closing its doors. That's always sad news.

J E Oneil said...

I like the warm weather and lack of snow. It's my kind of winter. I heard about Samhain closing. I know a few writers who are lamenting its loss and wondering what will happen with their books. It's a scary time.

Jemi Fraser said...

Love those quotes! I have the Michael Jordan one up in my classroom! :)
We thought spring was heading our way, but about 8 inches of the fluffy stuff dumped itself on us today :)

Yvonne Ventresca said...

Love the Michael Jordan quote. :)

Yvonne

Denise Covey said...

Love the quote! So sad that Samhain is closing. I had them on my list to sub to...gah! So scary this publishing world!

J Lenni Dorner said...

Great post. My friend's sister was born on leap day. She turns 5 this year!!! (Obviously she's been around the sun more than 5 times, but...)
I love the quote and the memes. Great job.

Tara Tyler said...

i can't believe samhain is closing. definitely makes me worry! i've been pursuing agent routes, but it seems impossible to please them.

thanks for the quote memes - very inspirational.
and thanks for playing!

A Beer for the Shower said...

Spring is showing up here too, but I know it's only temporary. We always invariably have one gigantic blizzard between now and the end of April.

And bummer about another small press going under. It's a hard market for the small press, which is sad, because it leaves many fantastic books unnoticed.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Leaping for leap day!
Glad you are happy with your publisher, but it's a bummer that another one has gone down.

Stephen Tremp said...

Well, Thomas Mann does have an interesting perspective. I love that Michael Jordan quote. Just makes me want to move forward that much more!

Patricia Stoltey said...

The Samhein closing affected one of the writers in my critique group whose manuscript was under consideration. And my own publisher, Five Star, just discontinued their mystery line, so I'll be hunting for a new mystery publisher. The changes just won't stop coming, will they?

It's warm and very windy today in Northern Colorado. I have one purple crocus blooming and all my tulips and hyacinths are up from the extremely warm February. If the weather stays Colorado-like, though, we'll still get more snow before summer arrives for good.

Heather M. Gardner said...

I know quite a few authors that have been affected by the big/small publisher closing. It's very scary for those of us who've lived through it once already. Crossing my fingers!
Great quotes! That is why we succeed!
Heather

The Happy Whisk said...

Good luck on your next project.