Monday, February 15, 2016

On IWSG today, our very own Joylene Nowell Butler, talks more about deep POV. It's something writers and editors talk about all the time but not everyone understands what it means. Check out today's post and last week's.

Book Signing

As many of you might have heard, we had some brutally cold weather in the northeast USA this past weekend. On Saturday we had the low temperatures, a brisk wind and drifting snow. Our annual book-signing event at a local greenhouse and gift shop that has been wonderfully successful in past years ended up being a complete bust on Saturday. No one to blame except the weather. Roads were drifted and dangerous and with the wind chill, the temperatures stayed below zero all day. On a grim note, there was a horrific traffic pile up on one of the interstates which took lives. Not a good day.

But I'm still working on that third draft of my second Galactic Outlaws series. At least the weather gives me an excuse to stay inside and write. Though I'm tempted to drink hot tea and read under a blanket.
"Laziness may appear attractive, but work gives satisfaction." Anne Frank

Industry News

So I found this article by the New York Times. I mentioned in an earlier post that Amazon was opening its first physical bookstore. According to this article, they have intentions to open many more. Why when their online retail store is so monstrously successful? Must Amazon rule every thing? The truth is that despite the online store's inventory of anything you might want, many buyers of books still like the experience and ambiance of a physical store. Readers like to browse the shelves. So of course, Amazon wants in on that. Whenever a discussion among my fellow writers comes up, one of the things we talk about is the increasing difficulties for small presses in today's market. Will they survive as Amazon grabs more of the publishing industry into its net?

In other industry news, and something much less depressing, the anthology put together by IWSG is available for pre-order. Check out Parallels: Felix Was Here
Enter the realm of parallel universes!

What if the government tried to create the perfect utopia? Could a society linked to a supercomputer survive on its own? Do our reflections control secret lives on the other side of the mirror? Can one moment split a person’s world forever?

Exploring the fantastic, ten authors offer incredible visions and captivating tales of diverse reality. Featuring the talents of L. G. Keltner, Crystal Collier, Hart Johnson, Cherie Reich, Sandra Cox, Yolanda Renee, Melanie Schulz, Sylvia Ney, Michael Abayomi, and Tamara Narayan.

Hand-picked by a panel of agents and authors, these ten tales will expand your imagination and twist the tropes of science fiction. Step through the portal and enter another dimension!

On TV

On the entertainment front, I'm enjoying Legends of Tomorrow so far. I like the teamwork as the Legends get to know each other but the characters themselves with all their quirks and flaws are what make the show so interesting. Some team members aren't even good guys but this is their chance to be something better than they were.
 I'm giving the show Lucifer a chance. I'm not sure yet if I like it. I guess I want to see where they're going with the character. Redemption for the devil?
TV hasn't really been exciting lately. I despise the 'awards' shows where entertainers congratulate each other. I never watch a minute of it. I enjoy TV shows, movies and music, but it's only entertainment. Will prime time every have an awards show for medical people, teachers, policemen, firemen, social workers, religious leaders and volunteers who do really important work that safe lives and souls? Not likely since there is no money in that. Hopping off my soapbox.

"A man who has made a mistake and doesn't correct it is making another mistake." Confucius

Hope you had a great Valentine's Day or made it good for someone else.

Why do you think Amazon is venturing into physical bookstores? Did the brutal cold intrude on your weekend? Do you know how to write in deep POV? 





22 comments:

M.J. Fifield said...

I haven't decided on Legends of Tomorrow. There a moments I like, but a lot that I've rolled my eyes at. But I'm sticking with it for now. I made it through about 10 minutes of Lucifer before I went back to my book. I'll be glad when award season is over and all my regular shows come back.

Stay warm! Hope the temperatures go back up soon.

Best of luck with your third draft!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

The devil as a hero is just wrong.

Not sure if Amazon will be as successful as they anticipate with their stores. They might find the cost of running them not worth the hassle. We'll see.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Glad to see The Walking Dead back this weekend, and I'm going to give Stephen King's 11/22/63 a shot. I enjoyed the book overall and the show/series looks pretty good.

Stay warm!

Pat Hatt said...

Amazon sure likes to take over. Yeah, pfffft to stupid award shows. Just some rich or wannabe rich "look at me" types patting each other on the back. Wowweeee.

betty said...

I was actually in Phoenix for bits and pieces of the weekend and it was a nice balmy 86 degrees (remember that though in summer when it will be 117 degrees there).

Sorry about the book signing event not being well attended.

I would be curious to visit an Amazon store just to see how it is laid out.

I don't follow much TV these days, I do admit I am watching the last season of American Idol :)

betty

A Beer for the Shower said...

I don't subscribe to a TV service anymore just because there aren't enough shows worth watching. Lucifer just looks lazy - I know, let's make another detective show, but this time the detective is the devil!

Maria Zannini said...

I'm sorry about your weather. Although it's springlike by me I don't want to jump the gun in case Mother Nature changes her mind.

cleemckenzie said...

I really hate to tell you this, but it has been in the high 70s this week here. And that's not good because CA needs some water very badly. Besides, like you, I have to be forced to stay indoors and cold weather does that very well.

Jemi Fraser said...

We've had that brutal cold up here too - thankfully, it's warming up now!
I'll have to give Legends a watch - haven't had a chance to see it yet, but it sounds like I'd enjoy it.

Chrys Fey said...

I haven't even heard of Legends of Tomorrow. I saw a little bit of Lucifer and quickly vetoed it.

Sorry the signing was a bust. At least it was a bust due to the weather though.

Jennifer Ruth Jackson said...

You're right, there would be no money in an awards show for everyday heroes. A pastor who starts a youth group for inner-city kids isn't as glamorous as a singer who struts out on stage in sequins... and little else. Maybe Pastor Bill needs some glitter and screaming fans...

I think Amazon is just trying to grab onto whatever it can, like any huge corporation. And, like any huge corporation, it doesn't care for one second about those it squeezes out.

J E Oneil said...

Yes, the chill was quite unpleasant. It sucks that it had to happen on your signing day :(.

It's hard to find a good new show to watch. Everything just seems like more of the same.

mshatch said...

It was below zero here on Sunday so I went no where except to take my dog out. Still pretty cold here today but it's supposed to warm up enough to rain, which is just crazy. But I'll take the rain!

Unknown said...

I watched 2 episodes of legends and so far on the fence. I definitely want to see Lucifer and what they do with it. We had the same cold front this weekend and again today. Bonus-we got 4 inches of snow with expected sleet tonight to make it nice and messy come morning

Christine Rains said...

The weather was frigid here too. We had a snow day today, so no school. I'm giving Legends a try as well. It has possibilities, but a lot of the time, it seems mighty overdone. I'm a Captain Cold fan, though. I'm not sure what I think of Amazon opening a physical store. If one came around here, it won't make me rush out to go see it.

Heather M. Gardner said...

Sorry about the book signing. I did hear about the pile-up. So sad.

I like Lucifer. Only saw one ep of Legends, but it was good. I'll let it get ahead of me then binge watch it.

HMG

Tammy Theriault said...

I would so go to An Amazon book store. Because I'm on an island and the closest retail big wig name one is like an hour away!! If they bring it close, I will go!

nashvillecats2 said...

I personally don't like the Devil as some sort of hero, but to each their own I suppose.
Yvonne.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Susan and Joylene - weather .. so changeable here, but thankfully we haven't snow or ice much down on the south coast. I have to say I'd prefer not to go to an Amazon store .. support them enough anyway ...

The IWSG anthology sounds very interesting and great to have lots of bloggers authoring in it ..

Cheers to you both - Hilary

Ann Bennett said...

Lots to think about this post. With the dust up of the Oscar nominees I have felt a bit sour with all the awards. They are just marketing tools.
My TBR list is so long, but I will check out the anthology. It is fun to read people you sort of know.
I like and dislike Amazon. I spend at least $50 t0 $100 a month on Amazon. I plan to spend several thousand with them on handicap supplies soon. However, with their growth in publishing, they will exert much control. There is no benevolent monopoly or dictatorship.

Patricia Stoltey said...

I do try to write in deep POV. It's easier when you have only one POV character in the whole novel. With multiple points of view, you have to learn how to switch characters in your mind when you're writing that character's chapters or scenes.

Shanaya Tales said...

These snow days are driving me nuts, and I am a homebody. I have library holds that have come in, and I can't get to them thanks to snow and ice! Sigh.