Monday, April 16, 2012

N: Netiquette

N:  I'm pretty sure someone made up the word, netiquette, but it might be real and it doesn't have to do with tennis.  Certainly the idea is real. And just looking at the construction of the word, it's easy to figure out the definition.  Netiquette is proper behavior and using good manners online.

This is likely challenging for lots of people.  The world wide web is a rather impersonal way to communicate with others of the human race.  You type on a keyboard, almost like having a conversation with a machine.  But your words are being read by humans.  Your comments are directed at people.  Your judgments are touching other professionals.  Despite the old saying, words can really hurt.  Words can cause anger and destruction. Perhaps words won't harm your physical body but they can bring near fatal injuries to your reputation. 

So what is netiquette? I think it is remembering what you share and opine online is being read by people, real people.  People who have feelings, people who have influence and people with memories.  Once it is said online, it can never be unsaid.  When you say something on your blog, facebook or any other social site, write with the same inhibitions, forethought and politeness as you would as if responding in a face to face interaction.  Read what you wrote before clicking on 'post.'  Are you being open-minded? Are you being insulting? Is the tone of your post unprofessional, defensive or angry?  Is something you've typed so controversial you'll become the subject of blogs about crazy, career-killing writers?  Use good manners and common sense. 

Do you take care with your online manners? Have you ever wished to take back something you said? Have you read posts or comments that make you cringe?

17 comments:

shelly said...

Being a Libra makes me careful but I've never read something by any Bloggers that was so terrible. Not even stuff from their own WIPs.

Good post!

Anonymous said...

I do a pretty good job with netiquette. From time to time I say something less than intelligent and wish I could take it back.

Bish Denham said...

The world could use more netiquette and not just on the web, everywhere.

Anonymous said...

The only thing I've ever wished I could take back is misspellings. Otherwise, I do my best to be reasonably diplomatic. Reasonably, because there are some people who are offended no matter what is said, and that is something NO ONE can help.

Sarah Allen said...

Definitely something important to think about. The internet is about forming successful and mutually beneficial relationships, and bad manners and rudeness definitely are not conducive.

Sarah Allen
(my creative writing blog)

Carrie-Anne said...

I don't really frequent message boards as much as I did in the past because I got tired of the dogpiling that goes on at so many of them, and the cliquish, immature behavior. I could share so many stories of rude people I've encountered at message boards, and how I've had words put in my mouth by people who chose to misinterpret what I said just because they didn't like me. One of these message boards was so bad they even had a separate board, which eventually became private if you had under a certain number of posts, to bash unpopular people at the original board!

Cheryl Klarich said...

I try to stay true to who I am, but have the grace to know when other people don't want to hear it...

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Definitely! And yes, I have read both posts and comments that made me cringe.
My rule - be the same person online as I am in real life.

Lynn Proctor said...

i hope i have not been guilty of this--great reminder

Emma said...

This is my first time hearing netiquette. I try to be mindful of what I put out there though I can't guarantee the spelling is
always correct. Thanks for the lesson. Good post.

Annalisa Crawford said...

Good points. I'm always really careful what I write - even things like humour can be mistaken when written down. I visit some forums which have terrible problems with trolls, and it's not pleasant for those the bullying is aimed at.

srivalli said...

In my experience, people more or less follow netiquette. Never read a comment on my blog that made me cringe. Great post! Thanks for stopping by!

loverofwords said...

I don't blog extensively, but when I am looking up something on Google or You Tube I see comments written by others that are rude and immature. But not here on A-Z. Good topic though.

Unknown said...

Actually I think it's easier on the web than in person. You always have the second to re-read what you've written prior to posting it. That's not always true in "real" life.

Brenda McKenna said...

The lack of body language and tone of voice make the internet interesting. Like Melanie says, there's less to control, but it depends on your strengths, too. Interesting topic! I'm already a follower, but I'm here from A-Z, so I read twice before commenting. :)

Jemi Fraser said...

Most of the people I've met online are wonderful! thankfully. I've heard about several situations that make me cringe, but I've been lucky enough to stay far away from the flames :)

Anonymous said...

I made up the word netiquette from a report I did in 1997 at Morehouse College for a class called Information Technology. I made speeches at Toastmasters about it and learned proper Toastmaster Netiquette at the UW Toastmasters. My speaches were based in GUI design that I learned at SCC.