Tuesday, April 24, 2012

U: Uniting With Your Kind

U:  Writing can be a lonely career. No matter how many blogging buddies you have or how many people are in your critique group, you still need to spend long hours in solitude with your keyboard. But everyone has to come up for air sometime.

Humans are social creatures and despite some of the stuff they write, even horror writers are human. Just kidding.  Step out of your writing dungeon and find some other of like mind and ambition to bring a little adult conversation into your life. Speaking with other writers can help your perspective on your own work.  Not only might they give you good advice, they can answer questions and listen to your woes.  You're not alone.

How do you unite with other writers? Has A to Z helped you find some like-minded creatures?

7 comments:

Tonja said...

Other than blogging buddies and critique groups, I haven't found any other writers. I think it's still good to have conversations with 'normal' adults.

Cheryl Klarich said...

Hi Susan!

A to Z has been a great source for meeting new blogging friends! I definitely feel more connected! :)

Lynn Proctor said...

i have not united at all with other writers except my daughter and daughter-in-law--until this a-z thing

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

No writers in the physical, but plenty here online! And the IWSG connects more every month, which is really cool.

Jemi Fraser said...

Love it! Yes - as writers, it's so important to interact with people - both about our writing and outside of it too :)

Anonymous said...

I thankfully have three writer friends who go to my church. If not for them, I don't know who I'd connect with in person to share writing tips and topics. We have had the occasional suggestion float around about having a regular writing club / circle. I'm hoping it will happen. In the meantime, the blogosphere will have to suffice for me.

Carrie-Anne said...

I've met other writers during A to Z, but I'm still having a hard time connecting with a large number of historical fiction writers, esp. people who write historical YA. Finding people who write family/town sagas is even harder.