Tuesday, April 17, 2012

O: OED

O:  Writers and readers love words.  Some people use them with more talent than others.  Some people know many more words than others.  There are lots of them to chose from.  The Oxford English Dictionary, OED, lists more than 400,000 words on its 22,000 pages.  All those words fill up twenty volumes and may represent only half of the words we use.  That's a big vocab list.

Does anyone know all those words and their definition?  It would certainly be a study to last a lifetime and to make it a real challenge, new words are added all the time. But reading and studying a dictionary would be a rather dry endeavor.  It's the arrangement and selection of words that make reading interesting.  Every person has their own way of turning a phrase to express the emotion they wish to share or to pass on information to another.  We call that voice, but that's an entirely different subject.

So do you keep a dictionary close by when you write and read?   Do you think you have command over a large vocabulary? Have you read anything recently that challenged your word knowledge?

14 comments:

Paula RC said...

I always love learning new words, but I do find I can't always use them naturally in my everyday speech. Are there words we are more comfortable using?

I just feel if no one understands the words I using they will think I'm just being clever, or showing off.

I do find I choose my words carefully when I'm writing the simplest and straight forward words are the better to make it clear to the reader what I'm trying to get across.

Nothing worse that rearching for a dictionary and lose the flow of the narritive while looking up a word you've never come across before.

M.J. Fifield said...

I have a dictionary on my desk and I use online dictionaries quite often. Given the size of the dictionary, I don't think I have command over a large vocabulary. Maybe average.

Unknown said...

The OED has saved my bacon in conversations more times than I care to remember. A sneaky glance of a word means I don't look like a fool asking for the definition :)

Jamie
Fellow A-Z Buddy
Doing a monumental blog catch-up
Mithril Wisdom

Tonja said...

My husband knows every word. I keep trying to stump him with difficult words, but he always knows them. Very annoying.

Brenda McKenna said...

I love the OED! You get words, etymology, and examples...and you can find it all on your computer now, which eliminates all those crazy-huge dictionary volumes. Nice O topic!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I keep a dictionary and a Thesaurus handy!

Small Town Shelly Brown said...

I use dictionary.com and thesaurus.com
I write for middle graders and I love giving them some useful but challenging vocab in the stories. It stretches them and me at the same time :)

Lynn Proctor said...

everything challenges my word knowledge :)

Golden Eagle said...

I use internet dictionaries when I need a definition or (in Microsoft Word) ALT + click for written text.


The Golden Eagle
The Eagle's Aerial Perspective

Jemi Fraser said...

My parents once had a beautiful OED - thin crispy paper, beautiful letters. Don't know what happened to it though.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I like using the OED online. Check out their word of the day.

Unknown said...

I love my dictionary!! Dictionary.com is also a great tool when I don't have my thick tome around. :)

Anonymous said...

I used to buy I guess I got lazy and use Dictionary.com and its thesaurus. I really should challenge myself and open up a dictionary again. Maybe learn ten new words a day.

Sylvie said...

Hi Susan: i've got to admit i use the online dictionaries and thesaurus's quite often. But there's something about the actual books in my hands that is inebriating! Hopefully, it will always be available for those who prefer it! Cheers, Sylvie from littlestoday.blogspot.com