Wednesday, April 18, 2012

P: Plan Your Work

P:  Time for another of my husband's creeds for his paint business. Let me explain in case you missed my earlier post about his favorite sayings.  My husband owns a commercial and residential paint business. Over the years, his five sons and one daughter have helped him during their school breaks.  They not only earned good wages, they learned skills that they'll probably use many times in the future.  Their father also shared his wisdom about life in general and the painting profession in particular.  Here's another of his favorites:

Plan your work and work your plan.

It's a simple rule but an important one to follow. A good example is this blog challenge.  Signing up for the A to Z challenge is a big commitment.  Trying to keep up by writing your blog posts the night before is very difficult and likely to cause a lot of stress.  But if you planned ahead, you can spend your blog time visiting other participants instead of scrambling to write your offering.

I started months before by jotting notes for every letter, sometimes with two or three choices, and then as April approached, I wrote the posts and scheduled them.  Some of the ideas for my posts were developed way back in January.  I planned ahead. 

Writing goals are the same type of thing.  Use a day planner or even just make a list.  Plan your work, for completing a project or doing promotion, and then work your plan.

Did you plan ahead for the A to Z challenge? How exacting do you get with planning ahead?

12 comments:

Annalisa Crawford said...

I usually don't plan anything, but I did write most of my A-Z posts in adavnced. I'm fast approaching the problem letters though!

I've also started planning my days and weeks on Outlook, so I get emails for important appointments or deadlines.

Learning to be organised is a slow process.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

You did a great job planning ahead for the challenge! I think making a commitment to write each day (on the calendar, but with an understanding that the times can be flexible) is such an important part of writing.

Unknown said...

I planned for the first 2 weeks, but I really wish I'd done the full thing :( Fail to plan, plan to fail is the saying I've heard most.

Jamie
Fellow A-Z Buddy
Doing a monumental blog catch-up
Mithril Wisdom

shelly said...

I usually jot ideas down and a word or two for each idea and then go from there. For the letters I couldn't think of what to write...well it'll be off the cuff writing.

However, I've found that the universe throws things your way to help with those certain situations.

Talli Roland said...

I love that saying! Having a plan is one of the things I find very comforting.

Lynn Proctor said...

this week and some of last week i have planned ahead--it has for sure taken away a lot of stress--but it isn't the challenge i was feeling by waking up and just starting to write--but i have been busy--great thoughts

M.J. Fifield said...

I did not plan ahead. Not really anyway so each morning I find myself sitting in front of the computer thinking, "What starts with P?"

And yeah, planning ahead would be much smarter. Maybe next year...

Tracey said...

I approach most everything in advance because I hate being rushed and I hate not meeting deadlines.

Golden Eagle said...

I planned (and wrote) most of my posts in the month of March, though a few of the topics I'd come up with in January/February.


The Golden Eagle
The Eagle's Aerial Perspective

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I planned like you did. I jotted down several words for each letter then set about locating blogers who fit the description of the best word or two. Then I wrote my posts and set the html formatting. And downloaded all images. I do have to go in and post and schedule them every night since the Ninja News is always different, but everything is set.

Jemi Fraser said...

I didn't even click the sign up button until I had listed 2 or 3 choices for each letter and had written a trial post ... or 12 :)

Tracy said...

hah, I planned the first couple days then got behind but I've not missed a day :)