Monday, January 13, 2014

Back in the Swing

For those of you with college age children or those who aren't so far beyond the college years, you know those winter breaks fly by. As of today, both my college children are back at their respective schools, Penn State and Boston University, and getting back in the swing of learning. I don't even have to add I hope to that because I know they'll both work hard. Their absence also means my house has settled back into calm and quiet, with a thin coating of empty.

My son is starting his last semester at PSU and has two required courses he put off until this late date. One of them he is taking as an online course. Sign of the times that a student attending such a huge university would seek out such a course with no face to face meetings. It led me to think about all the online education available out there for free.

RWA, of which I'm a member, offers a plethora of offerings having to do with anything you need to learn about this business. My own local chapter, CPRW, offers inexpensive classes for our members. The other writer's group I belong too, offers online courses at very inexpensive rates. It's amazing what is out there. The website, IWSG, has links to so many places where a writer, new or experienced, can find help and encouragement. It's very different from when I started.

The very first conference I went to was at Penn State University and run by one of their departments. I think it was the first time I considered myself a professional writer. Since them I've been to numerous conferences and also attended a few one day workshops. One day workshops are a little more difficult to come by these days. Now such courses are offered online. It saves everyone gas money but also the expense of renting a meeting area to hold the class. And they don't have to be held on a Saturday. It's smart and efficient to use modern technology, but I miss those face to face gatherings.

There is something very inspiring I get from those real people gatherings that I don't quite get from taking a class online. But the old days have to make room for the here and now, and I'm not one of those who think the old days are better than now. The holidays are over and I'm back in the swing of being a full time writer.

Speaking of online learning opportunities, next Monday is the What Works Symposium, a chance for a bunch of bloggers to share what online marketing works and what doesn't. You can sign up on the list over at Alex J. Cavanaugh's blog where he introduced this great idea along with the co-hosts, Arlee Bird, Yolanda Renee, and Jeremy Hawkins. We can all learn something and help others also.

So have you taken an online workshop? Have you led one? Are you back in the swing of things after the holidays? Are you joining What Works next Monday?

20 comments:

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, Susan,

I know you must be feeling a bit lonely without your kids. You had mentioned it a few times, so I know it must be a bit difficult for you.

ON the plus side though, you have time for you. Your interests, your pleasures. Perhaps take up something creative, other than writing.

It is wonderful to filter your talents into different venues. As you know, I love to bake and have been doing lots of it lately. My other job is interior design, so using my talents in this field keep my creative edge.

Been busy with edits. For the rest of this month I will be spending most of my time completing this work.

I wish I had something to offer in What Works. Since I don't have a published novel yet, I have no advice to give, BUT I will certainly be reading everyone's post!

Heather Musk said...

I'm slowly easing back into things after the holidays. I'm now going into the second week back at work and the holidays are a distant memory.

I'm studying creative writing through the Open University, which is distance learning with only two face to face tutorials. I do miss the interaction with the other students. There are online forums but they're so quiet, I get more feedback and encouragement from my bloggy buddies.

Heather R. Holden said...

I took a lot of online courses when I was in college and really enjoyed that method of learning. Definitely helped make things more convenient!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I've never taken an online course, but I have been to several conferences. It does seem they are becoming more and more rare.

Stephen Tremp said...

Yes I'm doing the What Works Symposium. Really looking forward to that one. Since I have a book coming out in March I can use all the help I can get.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Susan. I've never been to a conference in person, but I've done a few week long conferences online. I've also done a few one day online workshops.

Pat Hatt said...

I took a few when I was in university, they were bird courses though, life in the universe was one lmao

Unknown said...

Oh it's such a transition with our kids, isn't it. I'm going to be facing that full throttle this fall. I have taken a couple "freebies" online that were very good. I would love to get another MA (or in this case an MFA) but bucks don't allow it. I love learning.

The Happy Whisk said...

Learning is so much fun. Love it. Here's to soaking it all in.

Taken workshops but never online courses. Though they do seem interesting, from what bits I've heard.

Cheers and boogie boogie.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Thanks for mentioning the Symposium!
I've not taken a class online or in the real world.

David P. King said...

I've done an online conference before. It's certainly worth looking into. :)

PK HREZO said...

Sorry for the empty nest feeling. But think of all that uninterrupted writing time! Still, I'm sure it's tough missing your kids.
I've taken lots of online workshops. There is so much out there without ever leaving the house!!

Robin said...

I think that I have been living in something of a cave. It is only within the last year that I have become aware of just how much there is online. I haven't pursued it, but it boggles my mind a bit that so much instruction is now happening online. Is it good or bad? I don't know. I think I would miss the dynamic of interaction that happened in the old fashioned classroom. But, the Free part is appealing!

Cate Masters said...

Online courses are great because you can work around other time demands to complete the classes. I've taken many and enjoyed all but one, where someone was not who their profile described and used class time as more of a disruption for others. Bizarre. A drawback of online anything these days.

Bossy Betty said...

I teach both face-to-face and online and though try to develop academic relationships with my online students, it is much more difficult. Still, it is wonderful what is out there, isn't it?

Christine Rains said...

I've never taken an online course, but I've done workshops at conventions. I would take an online one if I had the time and money, though. And yes, getting back into the swing of things. About to close the browser and get to writing right now. :)

Jemi Fraser said...

It's HARD when the kids aren't there. I much prefer the chaos of kids and friends to the solitude ... but we have to get used to it!

Good luck with getting in the swing and writing up a storm! :)

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

yay for being back in the swing. I hope your writing time is a hugely satisfying.

Ellie Garratt said...

I understand how you're feeling, though in a different way. My partner and I split up, so I'm getting used to life on my own.

The good thing about your kids being away is more time for writing. And of course they'll be back!

S.P. Bowers said...

I've taken an online semester long workshop. It was amazing. I do want to get to a conference some day. I think just being around all those people would be an adrenaline boost.