Monday, January 6, 2014

What Are You Looking For?

The new year is in full swing and that mean this Wednesday will be the first post of the ever popular, informant and fun IWSG blog hop. Skipping New Year's Day was a common sense decision by the idea's creator, Alex J. Cavanaugh. Over on the IWSG blog, I posted some more about numbers and how using them in an article title attracts interest. Stop by and give your opinion.

This past Saturday, I attended the local meeting of our local chapter of RWA and spend two hours or more listening and laughing. They really are a fun group and the energy and enthusiasm are contagious. I get the same feeling when I visit the members of the IWSG. There's so much going on there and like my local group, the members ran the gamut from multi-published to not yet published. Saturday's meeting reminded me what I'm looking for in the groups, online and physical.

First and foremost is the making contacts and friends. But I also need people who can give me advice on craft and advice from people more experienced than I am. I want to hear about conferences, marketing news, and what's happening in the professional writing world. I want to hear about the success of other writers.

Jay Noel's novel, Dragonfly Warrior is now available. Jay has created a very unique world in this first book in a series. Isn't that a great cover?

What are you looking for in writing groups? Can you name one thing you learned from an online group that has really helped you in your career? Are you ready for IWSG on Wednesday?


19 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's why IWSG post day is such a high for me, even though it's exhausting trying to visit every one. I enjoy connecting with so many writers and always learn something new.

The Happy Whisk said...

Happy Monday, Susan. Here's to a great writing New Year.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

I think this will be my third IWSG post, and I've loved writing them and reading everyone else's. :) Looking forward to Wednesday!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I've had better luck with online groups like the IWSG than in the real world.

Pat Hatt said...

The connection can sure help a ton when you find a good group

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I don't usually get around to everyone, Alex, but I hit the majority.
You and me both, Ivy.
I always read your IWSG post, Madeline.
L. Diane, I feel lucky to have online and in person connections that I really value.
I know how much my connections have helped me, Pat.

Stephen Tremp said...

I belong to two really good writing groups. I found my editor in one. I would not be where I am today without the input from dozens of people in these groups.

Jen said...

The IWSG has been a wonderful place for me to glean much needed inspiration and helps me continue forward with my writing (even when I don't feel like there's any point to continuing!)

I would LOVE a writer's group! I had one years ago but it dissolved after the founder passed away. I've been looking for years. I have a feeling I'm going to have to create my own. And that's a scary thought!

Jen

Dana said...

I've read many of the IWSG posts, although I've never written my own. I think it's time I did. I love the support I see!

Dana said...

I've read many of the IWSG posts, although I've never written my own. I think it's time I did. I love the support I see!

Jemi Fraser said...

Great cover for sure! I don't have a writing group in real life (do have online crit buddies) but I'd love to talk to real life authors at all stages and compare and help and learn! :)

AJ Lauer said...

I decided to join IWSG this month, finally! Looking forward to meeting everyone and seeing what everyone has to say :)

S.P. Bowers said...

There are too many things I've learned from online writing groups to name. I definitely wouldn't be the writer I am, or have the confidence to query, without them.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Are those groups wonderful, Stephen.
Jen, I would love to hear about how you go about starting a group.
Dana and ayjay, I hope I see you both on Wednesday at IWSG.
Jemi, I wish you could join one of my groups.
I feel the same way, S.P.

Christine Rains said...

I'm all ready for this week's IWSG! One thing from an online group that's helped me is tips for marketing. Yay for Jay! :)

Heather R. Holden said...

I'm not a part of any groups, but I can see how they'd be beneficial!

Unknown said...

Dragon Fly Warrior looks like a great book. I know someone who would love to read it.

sjp said...

Already did my IWSG before I had to go back to work, otherwise I knew I would forget! Sounds like a great meeting :)

Bossy Betty said...

SO glad you found a supportive group. Happy Writing this year and many more to come!