Wednesday, September 4, 2013

IWSG: Happy Aniversary

It's that time of month. No, not that time, it's the first Wednesday and that means the Insecure Writers Support Group post time. Two years ago, Alex J. Cavanaugh, started this wonderful group where writers offer support, advice and generally help each other through the wonderful, confusing and sometimes lonely business of being a writer. You can find an entire list of participating writers on this list.

Two years is a long time for a blogging group like this to continue on and on. I believe it does continue to grow stronger and sturdier for a couple of reasons. Number one is our tireless leader, Alex Cavanaugh. Alex sends reminders, encourages members and welcomes the newbies. There are also so many experienced and talented writers on this list that every month I learn something or find a link to someplace I need to be. In any given month, there were be a wide variety of posts, some asking for help and others offering assistance even if it's just advice. Yes, this group is strong because of its members are.

Enough cheerleading for today. Recently I read an interview in a writer's magazine that really struck a note with me. The article caught my eye because I personally know the writer. I don't know Jonathan Maberry well but we belong to the same writer's group and I've spoken with him and heard him speak at conferences. He's a very prolific writer and I've enjoyed many of his books. But to the point, Jonathan was questioned in the interview about writer's block. He doesn't believe in it. He thinks that people struggle to put words on the paper(computer screen) because they're 'trying too hard to write a perfect first draft.' He recommends getting that first draft done and then fixing it. His philosophy works for him and he writes fast.

I personally have never experienced writer's block so I'm not sure if Jonathan is correct or not. But if you are having some difficulty getting those words from your mind to your computer, perhaps you should consider his theory.

I'm not sure if I've been here since the start of IWSG but I think I have. How long have you been a member? Do you know Jonathan Maberry or have you read any of his books? Have you ever suffered from writer's block? What do you think causes it and how would you recommend someone overcomes it?

Don't forget to visit other blogs in the IWSG.

22 comments:

Unknown said...

That's why I think NaNoWriMo is so great; it kind of forces you to write that first draft as fast as you can.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I don't believe in writer's block either. Once I have an outline, I start writing and don't stop until I'm done. As Melanie said, NaNo is great for that.
And I learn so much from this group as well. It's such a blessing.

Unknown said...

No, don't believe in it either, Melanie, life just gets in the way from time to time.

Unknown said...

Forgot to say, haven't read any of Jonathan Maberry's books, Susan, must look him up. Carole.

Lisa said...

I forget how long I've been a member because I signed up over a year ago, but never did anything. Then signed up again (I don't remember when!) and have been posting ever since. I like the ISWG not only because of the people/blogs I find, but also because it keeps me on my toes! I don't know Jonathan Maberry, but look forward to looking him up. Thanks for co-hosting.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I rarely get writer's block, because if I get to a point where I'm starting to feel stuck, I go back about 10 pages and read. Once I hit that spot again, I'm unstuck.

Carrie-Anne said...

I've felt blocked at times, even when I know exactly what's supposed to happen next. Sometimes I just have other things going on that are more important than writing, or I'm not feeling the inspiration enough, or I need a break from these characters for awhile. Time is the best cure for blockage.

Crystal Collier said...

I did experience writers block once. And only once. Because I felt like I was up against a deadline, I was pushing, and pushing way too hard. It didn't come together and ended up as more of a mess. If I'd backed off and just worked on something I loved at the moment, that problem would have gone away. I've never had the problem since, and amazingly, as soon as I removed the deadlines, words flowed again. It's all about the pressure we put on ourselves I think.

Arlee Bird said...

I'm not familiar with Maberry and I'm partially in agreement with what he says about "writer's block". I personally think the term is just a poor excuse for not wanting to write. If you don't feel like writing it can be very difficult to make the words come. Then it's easier to blame it on some external thing like "writer's block" or a muse or something. I say accept responsibility and just write. And if you don't feel like writing then don't write and don't feel like you have to make excuses.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Rachna Chhabria said...

I sometimes get writers block, then I start writing my features for the newspapers and leave my ms aside for a few days.

Laura Clipson said...

I actually think he has a point there. When I write my first drafts, I concentrate on just getting my ideas down. Then when I edit I do the real work - this is where I add things I missed in the first draft, rewrite things that aren't written well etc. I don't get writers block because I know that my first drafts are always going to be terrible, because they can be.

Unknown said...

I think the danger of thinking writer's block exists, is that we treat it like some external demonic entity that we can't avoid-- like a virus determined to get us sick.

I do think, however, there are times when we are blocked writers-- because of clutter in our lives, being too tired, too many demands, etc-- we can feel blocked and wordless. Sitting our butts down is good advice, but so is feeding our hearts and souls-- visiting museums, lunch with friends, a walk outside etc.

Christine Rains said...

That's a good theory. I only have trouble putting down words when I'm trying too hard. It's so much easier when I don't think and let the words flow. Greatness comes in the edits! :)

Karen Jones Gowen said...

I don't believe in it either. Neither does Brandon Sanderson :) I started out in this group but fell away. 2 years is a long time to remember what to post on the first WEd of every month, but I sure do love reading all the insecure blog posts. It's my favorite day to visit blogs.

Robin said...

I agree with that line of reasoning. Just get it down. You cannot edit something until you have actual words and story. Just write.

Mark Means said...

I think he's probably right and I know the "NaNoWriMo" style isn't for everyone, but I think it does a lot to combat 'writer's block'-esque symptoms.

Write drunk, edit sober...or something like that :)

Bossy Betty said...

I love the community you find among bloggers and yes, Alex is great!

Cate Masters said...

I've met Jonathan a few times at conferences. I'm in awe of the way he can pound out a story, and it's always great. I haven't suffered actual writer's block but sometimes find myself writing around a certain part of a story, and that allows me to see what's missing and go back in to fill in the blank.

Unknown said...

I do agree with Jonathon. I absolutely get stuck because I can't seem to stop wondering what my editors are going to want changed.
I was just thinking about the vast knowledge and support in this group. Like you each month I seem to find myself where I need to be.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, Susan,

I was with this group from the first post! I can't believe it's two years already!,

Thankfully I've never had writer's block either... it sounds horrible.

I think John is right.... if you try too hard you will stress and get blocked. Writing must come naturally.

The Happy Whisk said...

We do know Jonathan. He judged a contest once that my husband one. Very nice guy. No, I don't buy writer's block, either. But then to be honest, I don't fall for the whole drama of writers who say, they eat, breath and crap writing - yet they can't focus long enough to string a sentence together.

Heather Musk said...

I'm not sure it's really writer's block, but I find I struggle to write if I'm tired or have too many distractions in my head. I need to vent before I can get moving.

I've been with IWSG for about a year and it's a great community to be involved with. Long may it continue!