Saturday, September 14, 2013

Next Project

Finally, I've finished polishing The Marine's Heiress and am ready to move onto the next project. It only took me about three bottles of wine to get through that chore. When I first started writing, I didn't always know what the next project would be. Usually I would spend a few weeks in debate on which of several projects I should tackle next. But since I've finished with the 'day job' and started on a career as a full time writer, I no longer intend to waste those days of indecision.

My next project is the second book in my epic fantasy series, The Morbunda Saga. The opening book in the series, First Dragon, is coming this November from Crescent Moon Press. The first draft of the second book is completed, just waiting my attention which it shall have. Having a plan and a schedule really brings home my claim to be a full time writer.

Have I learned to juggle more than one project at a time? Perhaps though I still don't like it. I wish I could concentrate on one thing at a time but that's not how this business works. The days of a writer hiding in a peaceful chalet and working without interruption are long gone. So I'm off to the next project, more promotion, new blogging endeavors and whatever other things I need to do to move my career along.

Follow this link to learn about some writing habits of famous writers. I'm slowly working to be as disciplined as some of them. In the meantime, on to the next project.

Do you have your next project planned? Do you have a disciplined approach to your writing time or do you fit it in when you can? Have you looked to any famous writer for advice on how you conduct your writing career?

9 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I still only work on one book at a time. My brain would explode otherwise.

mshatch said...

I have (at least) two projects that are basically revisions and/or draft #2 but nothing for sure that will be my next 'new thing.' Lots of ideas though :)

Cate Masters said...

Congrats on your upcoming release!
I love to read about how successful writers manage their time. It's still a struggle for me.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I can't work on two fiction books at one time, but if one is fiction and one non-fiction I can.

I have a book idea, just need time to work on it.

Robin said...

I write when it is quiet. That usually ends up being after lunch. I write the scene that I planned the day before (or possibly several days in the making). I really want everything I write to push the story along and I don't want to get bombarded with superfluous stuff that only weighs it down. So, everything must have a purpose before it goes in. (Sometimes that purpose is simply allowing the reader to get a different glimpse of the character in order to round them out, but it must be important.)

In other news, I tagged you in the Thursday post. I also posted something on Friday. It was a BIG week!

The Happy Whisk said...

Congrats and I look forward to reading more about your next project.

Karen Jones Gowen said...

I am always fascinated by those like yourself who have given up their day jobs to write full time. I devour your blog posts that explain how you do it.

Unknown said...

I always have multiple little projects going, but I don't know if I could keep that up if I was working on an MS.

Karen Elizabeth Brown said...

I'm working on a trilogy at the moment. Book 1 is finished, but I'm waiting to do anything until I nail down all the particulars in the next two books.
I find working on more than one project too time consuming. My mornings are set aside for writing and then the rest falls to the afternoons.