Monday, September 23, 2013

SyFy & Fantasy Boom

One thing about being a full time writer is that I get my writing done during the day and have more time to catch some TV shows in the evening. I actually only have a few shows I try to catch every week but the new fall lineup has a lot of promising shows I'll have to check out. And the best part is that the small screen is taking a hint from the success of the large screen with a plethora of syfy and fantasy offerings.

I've always been a fan of this genre as evidenced by what I write so the past few years have been a bonanza of entertainment fun. On TV, we have some returning favorites of mine. Supernatural, Haven, Once Upon a Time and Game of Thrones will all be airing new episodes in the course of the next few months though we'll have to wait for GOT just like we do for the books. I'll be checking out some new shows over the next two months. Sleeping Hollow already started and I like it so far. I'm looking forward to Almost Human with Karl Urban, Dracula, Once Upon a Time in Wonderland and The
Tomorrow People. I might check out Marvel's Agents of Shield.

Not only do I enjoy watching these type of shows but they inspire me. I appreciate the creativity of the show writers and find their unique visions of fantasy creatures and worlds. And the more popular they are the more I hope that popularity spills over into the book market. I have so many friends who read syfy and fantasy that I start to think it's the most popular genre out there. Here's an interesting blog, Five Scribes, about those stats from a year ago.

I do also write romance which gets a big share of the market but I'm still hoping syfy and fantasy grabs a little more.

Are there any particular shows you're looking forward to return or new TV you're going to sample this fall? Do you think the recent popularity of syfy and fantasy on the big and small screens helps book sales? Do you think the trend will continue?

11 comments:

Joss said...

I have to confess that I don't really watch all that much normal TV any more. I favour Netflix instead and even then I watch more films then TV shows. It comes from living with my husband and son, who are alway's squabbling over the big TV in the house. Three TV's and they both always want to be watching the one in the living room just because it's like 60 inches I think, I don't get it. The result, I stay out of it and watch things on my laptop.
I agree though that fantasy and scfi are becoming a lot more popular in both book and TV form. I'm not sure why, I think a large part of what put people off once was the geek stigma that was attached to it. Thankfully now, people have moved past all that and it is all becoming cool.
Either way I love them, although I do prefer book form, why have someone create the pictures for you, when you can use your imagination and do it better lol.
really enjoyed your post, have a lovely day xx

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Big fan of science fiction and fantasy shows! Will take all I can get. Really looking forward to Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

~Sia McKye~ said...

I don't watch much TV at all, although it's on all evening. Hubs and kid love TV. I do watch a few shows. Hubs says if I like Grimm, and I do, then I'll like Sleepy Hollow--I think that's what it's called. I also watch Bones. I'm looking forward to Grimm and hoping the writers are better with mc and his love interest. Last season they FUBAR the whole thing, much to fans disgust, including me.

I'll let you know if I like Sleepy Hollow. :-)

Sia McKye Over Coffee

Christine Rains said...

I'd love to see the trend continue. I'm a huge fan of fantasy and sci-fi. I've already tried out Sleepy Hollow on NBC, but I didn't think too much of it. Yet The Walking Dead is returning and so is Supernatural. There are a few other new ones I want to see.

Cate Masters said...

I don't normally watch a lot of TV, but the shows you mentioned have really caught my eye. Also The Witches of East End looks very good.

mshatch said...

Right now I'm without cable or satellite although I am caught up on GOT. I do miss it but I just don't have time to watch right now.

Robin said...

I am looking forward to Agents of Shield, The Tomorrow People, Almost Human, and I recorded Sleepy Hollow, but haven't watched it yet. I also like Arrow, Revenge, Nashville, Once Upon A Time, Revolution, and more. Yep. I am a TV watcher. And I agree about story writers appreciating a good story in whatever form it takes!

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

I'm definitely looking forward to Game of Thrones. Here in Oz, though, we often have to wait ages for them to come on our tvs. Sigh.

Unknown said...

I really don't watch much TV, except for The Big Bang Theory. I guess I just need a little humor.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I guess most of us have at least one or two shows we look forward to.

Unknown said...

I'm biting at the bit for the new season of Game of Thrones, but in the meantime we have Agents of SHIELD, BBC's Atlantis, The IT Crowd special, Doctor Who 50th Anniversary (WHOO!), Sky's Yonderland, and Sherlock whenever it decides to come back.

It's a busy few months :)